The ability to stay cool, calm and collected in just about any situation is one of those enviable traits that many people aspire to but can’t seem to make happen. Traffic, employee woes, taxes on Long island (!), family squabbles, business disruptions and any and all sorts of situations both large and small will throw some people into turmoil.
Do you know anyone like this? Might you be one of them?! It’s unhealthy, unproductive and downright unpleasant to live life in such a state of anxiety. Here are 5 things that you can do to keep calm and stay cool under pressure:
1. Stay positive. Rather than immediately seeing the negative in a situation and adopting a pronounced “woe is me” attitude, you need to strive to remain positive in the face of adversity. This doesn’t mean that you should fool yourself and mistakenly ignore a serious situation but rather move forward with the belief that there will be a good outcome to the situation.
2. Ask for help. Let’s face it there are situations that are very overwhelming and require that you get help. People that are able to rise above stressful situations of any sort are comfortable asking for assistance, tap into their support system and do so early on before a potentially stressful situation spirals out of control.
3. Stay focused on the solution. When the going gets tough it is easy to wallow in your misery and think about the negative. In order to be cool, calm and collected you need to maintain laser focus on the “solution” to the problem rather than waste time and energy in simply rehashing the situation.
4. Keep the situation in perspective. Yes, bad things happen and stressful situations exist but the simple truth is that it is often how you choose to react to the situation that makes it as stressful as it is. Does it make sense to over-react to a traffic ticket? Traffic on the LIE? A misplaced file folder? Probably not, yet there are people that don’t seem to be able to choose the “right” response for the situation. Not all problems are created equal! Keep that in mind.
5. Be good to yourself. When you are confronted with a stressful situation it’s important to take care of yourself. This includes making the time to get adequate sleep, exercise and good nutrition. Cutting corners in any of these things and not taking care of your health and wellbeing will have negative repercussions.
Make no mistake about it excess stress can wreak havoc on your health. Focus on reducing the stressors in your life and maintain a healthy attitude about those circumstances over which you have no control. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/stress-management/in-depth/stress-symptoms/art-20050987