Whenever I can, I take the opportunity to work from home a) because of all of the benefits, and b) to experience what my clients do everyday so that I can see what we at Champion Office Suites can do to help them become more efficient and effective.
I recently traveled out of town for 10 days for the birth of my grandchild. I pretty much left on a moment’s notice and while I did a good job preparing the clothing and personal items that I needed for the extended trip, I found that I did a terrible job of packing the items that I would need to work remotely for the extended period. I had my laptop and my iPad, but beyond that, I did not have anything that I would need to support my remote working situation.
Because of this experience, I thought that it would be helpful to develop a list of business-related items to have ‘at-the-ready’ for any trips that I may have to take. Take a look at the list. See if you find it helpful, and let me know if you have other items that you think should be included.
- Pad – basically a throwback to the days before tablets, but I am still a pad/paper person more so than an iPad note-taker
- Highlighter – I find them helpful. Many people don’t use them. It is a personal preference
- Charger for Electronics – I find the Call Pod to be great. It is a single charging unit with different connectors for your different devices. With this, I bring one charger, and I am covered for all of my devices and phones.
- Small stapler
- Post-It Notes
- Overnight Delivery Labels
- Standard envelopes and some stamps
- Portable Scanner – not a ‘must-have’, but I would have found it helpful during this last trip
- Portable Printer – not a ‘must-have’, but a nice semi-luxury that is easy to take along if you are traveling by car, and perhaps too much of a headache if you are traveling by plane.
Please let me know if you have anything to add.